1/3 Photos of Australian Bacon and Egg Pie
Member #610488's Note:
Meat pies have a long and iconic history in Australia and also New Zealand. This recipe is for a bacon and egg pie traditionally eaten for breakfast but is good anytime, especially when Australian Rules football is on the telly.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Boil the potato until it's soft and then drain and cut it into slices. Set aside.
- 3Fry the bacon slices until slightly crispy and then drain on a paper towel. Break into small pieces. Set aside. Using the same pan, fry the onions on a medium heat for 5 minutes. Drain and set side.
- 4Beat one egg with a fork and set aside to use as egg wash.
- 5Open one package of pie dough and lay each pie dough on lightly floured work surface. Using one (4 x 5 inch) pie tin, place the pie tin on each pastry dough and cut a slightly larger circle around it. This is the top crust. Discard excess dough.
- 6Lightly grease 2 (4 x 5 inch) pie tins. Open the second package of pie dough and gently press 1 pastry circle into the bottom of each pie tin. Press the dough up the sides and around the rim.
- 7Line each pie with a slice of potato, then a layer of bacon and onion. Sprinkle on the cheese and add several tomato pieces. Crack 2 eggs into each pie.
- 8Brush the rim with egg wash. Cover each pie with the top crust and push it down with your fingers.
- 9Brush the top with more egg wash. Press around the rim of each pie with the back of a fork to seal.
- 10Using a sharp knife, make a small incision in the top of each pie to allow for steam to escape. Sprinkle on some sesame seeds.
- 11Bake in the oven for 12 minutes. Serve hot or cold with tomato sauce.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Australian Bacon and Egg Pie
Serving Size: 1 (1615 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2539.6
- Calories from Fat 1260
- Total Fat 140.1 g
- Saturated Fat 47.3 g
- Cholesterol 502.3 mg
- Sodium 2544.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 262.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 18.3 g
- Sugars 20.9 g
- Protein 56.8 g