Recipe by **Jubes**
A good old favourite. Serve with tomato sauce. This recipe makes 18 rolls Definitely not a recipe for those of us who do not eat red meat and are gluten free.
Top Review by Debbie R.
Very easy and very good! The picture doesn't do it justice. It's pretty with the little flecks of carrot in the meat. I didn't cook the meat first. I looked up a bunch of sausage roll recipes, and they don't. It turned out fully cooked.
- 20 g butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 2 tablespoons tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 tablespoon parsley, finely chopped
- 400 g ground sausage
- 400 g beef mince
- 1 cup stale breadcrumbs
- salt & fresh ground pepper
- 3 sheets ready-rolled butter puff pastry
- 2 tablespoons milk
Directions See How It's Made
- Make "stale" breadcrumbs by processing one- or two-day-old bread.
- Preheat the oven to moderately hot 200°C Line 2 oven trays with baking paper.
- Heat butter in a large frying pan and add the onion and carrot. Stir for about 5 minutes, until the onion has softened. Combine the onion mixture, tomato sauce, parsley, sausage mince, beef mince, breadcrumbs, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Mix thoroughly.
- Place a sheet of thawed pastry on a board and cut in half.
- Place one sixth of the mince mixture along the centre of the pastry.
- Roll the pastry over to enclose the mince mixture. Cut this into 3 pieces.
- Repeat with remaining pastry and mince mixture.
- Place sausage rolls on prepared trays. Brush with milk.
- Bake for about 15 minutes or until browned lightly.