1/5 Photos of Aussie Potato Hot Cross Buns
3 hrs 45 mins
Australian Hot Cross Buns have a very moist and melt in your mouth feel. I have tested several recipes from Zaar and have taken what I like to come up with these. The family flipped over them this year.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 medium-large potato
- 473.18 ml raisins (I used a mixture of black, red and golden)
- 2 (14.17 g) package yeast
- 118.29 ml water, - 115 f
- 118.29 ml warm milk, - 115 f
- 9.85 ml sugar
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 7.39 ml salt
- 118.29 ml butter
- 2 large eggs
- 9.85 ml cinnamon (you can use more traditional spices but I am allergic to nutmeg, so mix it up if you prefer them wit)
- 1182.95 ml flour
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1BUNS: Peel and cut potato into 1" cubes and boil in salted water until tender. Drain water and mash till smooth in consistency. Let cool to room temperature.
- 2Soak raisins in enough hot water to cover and let sit for 1-2 hours (or even let soak overnight). Drain before use.
- 3Grease up a 9" x 13" baking pan and set aside.
- 4Grease up a large ceramic/glass/metal bowl and set aside.
- 5Combine yeast, water, and milk and sugar into medium sized bowl and stir well. Let it rest for 5 mins till it becomes foamy.
- 6In a large bowl mix potatoes, sugar, salt, butter, eggs, and cinnamon till the butter is well incorporated. Then add yeast mixture.
- 7Add the flour one cup at a time till dough is firm enough to turn out onto floured surface.
- 8Keep adding flour till it reaches a smooth elastic consistency (about 5-8 minutes) adding the raisins as you knead.
- 9Place dough in the large greased bowl, flipping over once to allow the fat to coat and let rise 1 1/2 hours in a warm area (preferably between 80°-85°F). Cover with parchment or saran wrap.
- 10Knead and punch down dough and divide in to 12 fist sized balls. Place in rows into the 9" x 13" baking pan. Cover and let them sit for second raise for 40 mins in warm area.
- 11Snip tops with scissors to make crosses or decorations. Brush with egg yolk.
- 12Bake 40-45 minutes at 375°F
- 13Once out from the oven, let cool in pan for 30 mins, then turn out onto wire rack.
- 14ICING: While the buns are cooling combine milk, sugar, butter, and vanilla. Add more icing sugar or milk to adjust consistency to form thick paste.
- 15Place mixture into piping bag or into a Ziplock bag cut corner to pipe icing crosses (or whatever).
- 16Serve with butter.
Browse Our Top Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Rolls/Biscuits Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aussie Potato Hot Cross Buns
Serving Size: 1 (173 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 505.2
- Calories from Fat 108
- Total Fat 12.0 g
- Saturated Fat 6.9 g
- Cholesterol 73.8 mg
- Sodium 405.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 43.2 g
- Protein 9.1 g