Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This is a Womens Weekly recipe in answer to a how to make Aussie pies in the threads.
Make and share this Aussie Meat Pies recipe from Food.com.
- 2 cups plain flour
- 125 g lard, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water, approximately
- 2 sheets premade puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 30 g lard
- 2 onions, chopped
- 900 g minced beef
- 1⁄4 cup Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄4 cup dark soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons beef stock powder
- 2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 tablespoons cornflour
- 2 tablespoons water, extra
- Sift flour into bowl; rub in lard.
- Add eggs and enough water to make ingredients cling together.
- Press dough into a ball, knead gently on a floured surface until smooth, cover, refrigerate 1/2 hour.
- Divide dough into 8 portions.
- Roll out each portion on lightly floured surface large enough to line 11 cm pie tins.
- Trim away excess pastry.
- Place tins on oven tray, line pastry with paper, fill with dried beans or rice.
- Bake in moderately hot oven about 8 minutes, remove paper and beans, bake further 8 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned, cool.
- Spoon cold filling into pastry cases.
- Cut 8 x 12cm rounds from puff pastry, brush edges of pastry with a little egg yolk; gently press puff pastry tops into place; trim edges.
- Brush tops with a little more egg yolk.
- Make 2 small slits in centre of pies, place on oven trays, bake in moderately hot oven about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Serve hot with tomato sauce.
- Filling: Heat lard in pan, add onion, cook stirring until soft.
- Add mince, stir over heat until browned.
- Stir in sauces, stock powder, water and allspice.
- Bring to boil, simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- Stir in blended cornflour and extra water, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens.
Really good flavor.Had some problems with the bottom crust,but pastry isn't my strong suit. I seem to have a mental block with pastry. I assumed when instructions said to serve with tomato sauce that that meant ketchup.Hubby was thrilled.