1 hr 15 mins
This is a Womens Weekly recipe in answer to a how to make Aussie pies in the threads.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups plain flour
- 125 g lard, chopped
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons water, approximately
- 2 sheets premade puff pastry
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten
- 1Sift flour into bowl; rub in lard.
- 2Add eggs and enough water to make ingredients cling together.
- 3Press dough into a ball, knead gently on a floured surface until smooth, cover, refrigerate 1/2 hour.
- 4Divide dough into 8 portions.
- 5Roll out each portion on lightly floured surface large enough to line 11 cm pie tins.
- 6Trim away excess pastry.
- 7Place tins on oven tray, line pastry with paper, fill with dried beans or rice.
- 8Bake in moderately hot oven about 8 minutes, remove paper and beans, bake further 8 minutes or until pastry is lightly browned, cool.
- 9Spoon cold filling into pastry cases.
- 10Cut 8 x 12cm rounds from puff pastry, brush edges of pastry with a little egg yolk; gently press puff pastry tops into place; trim edges.
- 11Brush tops with a little more egg yolk.
- 12Make 2 small slits in centre of pies, place on oven trays, bake in moderately hot oven about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.
- 13Serve hot with tomato sauce.
- 14Filling: Heat lard in pan, add onion, cook stirring until soft.
- 15Add mince, stir over heat until browned.
- 16Stir in sauces, stock powder, water and allspice.
- 17Bring to boil, simmer, covered, 20 minutes.
- 18Stir in blended cornflour and extra water, stir over heat until mixture boils and thickens.
Browse Our Top Pie Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aussie Meat Pies
Serving Size: 1 (2821 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 922.9
- Calories from Fat 555
- Total Fat 61.7 g
- Saturated Fat 20.7 g
- Cholesterol 162.1 mg
- Sodium 849.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 2.7 g
- Protein 31.9 g