1/4 Photos of Aussie Meat Pie
1 hr 15 mins
This recipe is from the Pampas Pastry website. It passes the Susan test for a five star recipe - easy, delicious and looks good too! These pies freeze well. Prepare up to the baking stage, then freeze. Cook from frozen on the day they are required. Hope you enjoy your Aussie Meat Pie - maybe enhanced with a glass of Coonawarra red! Edited to add - some grated/shredded cheese could be added to the mince mixture to make a cheese and mince pie, as per Perfect Pixie's review - great idea - thanks PP!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 1/4 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- beaten egg, for glazing
- 1Cook onion and meat until meat is well browned. Add 3/4 cup water, stock cubes, sauces and seasonings, bring to the boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- 2Blend flour with remaining water to make a smooth paste. Add to the meat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously; boil 5 minutes, cool.
- 3Line a lightly greased pie plate with the shortcrust pastry.
- 4Spoon in the cooled meat filling.
- 5Moisten edges of pastry base with water. Top with puff pastry sheet, pressing down gently to seal edges. Trim and score edges. Glaze.
- 6Bake in very hot oven for 15 minutes, reduce to moderately hot and cook a further 25 minutes or until pastry is goldn.
Browse Our Top Savory Pies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aussie Meat Pie
Serving Size: 1 (359 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 831.1
- Calories from Fat 461
- Total Fat 51.2 g
- Saturated Fat 14.8 g
- Cholesterol 81.5 mg
- Sodium 1089.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 57.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.5 g
- Sugars 3.1 g
- Protein 33.8 g