Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
This recipe is from the Pampas Pastry website. It passes the Susan test for a five star recipe - easy, delicious and looks good too! These pies freeze well. Prepare up to the baking stage, then freeze. Cook from frozen on the day they are required. Hope you enjoy your Aussie Meat Pie - maybe enhanced with a glass of Coonawarra red! Edited to add - some grated/shredded cheese could be added to the mince mixture to make a cheese and mince pie, as per Perfect Pixie's review - great idea - thanks PP!
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 500 g lean ground beef
- 1 cup water
- 2 beef bouillon cubes, crumbled
- 1⁄4 cup tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground oregano
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 3 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 sheet shortcrust pastry, thawed
- 1 sheet puff pastry, thawed
- beaten egg, for glazing
- Cook onion and meat until meat is well browned. Add 3/4 cup water, stock cubes, sauces and seasonings, bring to the boil, cover and simmer 15 minutes.
- Blend flour with remaining water to make a smooth paste. Add to the meat and bring to the boil, stirring continuously; boil 5 minutes, cool.
- Line a lightly greased pie plate with the shortcrust pastry.
- Spoon in the cooled meat filling.
- Moisten edges of pastry base with water. Top with puff pastry sheet, pressing down gently to seal edges. Trim and score edges. Glaze.
- Bake in very hot oven for 15 minutes, reduce to moderately hot and cook a further 25 minutes or until pastry is goldn.
I have made this recipe many times, my son doesn't like onion, ( it's a texture thing) but I substitute the diced onion for onion powder and he has never complained, I make them sometimes in the electric pie maker and then freeze them for snacks while watching the football, always a huge hit. Thanks Sussan :)
Made this mixture for our Christmas party. I put it in mini pre-made tart shells and added a ? cup of shredded carrots while cooking. Cooked the shells for 10 minutes first and let them cool before filling them. The recipe as is will make 54 mini%u2019s. They were a big hit, very tasty and had many compliments. Will definitely be making them again (already been requested for the New Years party) Thanks for posting such a delicious recipe
OH MY WORD!!!! I'm South -African and I grew up on chicken , beef etc meat pies. AND this one is unbelievable, so easy, so tasty full of flavour. Thank you for sharing :-) I have to give it 5 stars. I did add some peas while cooking the meat filling , it adds some colour and 9 i use less pots . THANK YOU !!! This one is a keeper :-)