Recipe by SusieNYC
Found at an Australian recipe website, this is a very nice dessert. Delicious and something worth sharing with a greater group, and easy to transport. My family loves these; flavorful, and they work in the summertime for their tangy flavor, and now in the Autumn-time for their more wheaty/grainy consistancy. Slightly of a granola texture, only slightly, but makes these very satisfying. Challenge may come in getting a hold of the buiscuits; the recipe says to use Granita buscuits from Australia, however here in New York we have many British stores so I've used the comparable Mcvitites Digestives biscuits instead.
- 200 g mcvites digestive biscuits
- 1⁄2 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 140 g butter, room temperature and seperated into 100g and 40g
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 1 lemon, zested then juiced (3 tsp zest & 3 Tbsp juice)
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Lightly grease the base and sides of a baking sheet that is 15.5cm x 25cm, paying particular attention to the two short ends, then line lengthwise with parchment paper, with a bit of overhang over the long ends (overhang helps in lifting of entire slice from pan in one piece). Set aside.
- Place condensed milk and 100g butter in a small saucepan over medium heat stirring until butter melts and both ingredients are blended well (3 minutes).
- Hand-crush or use a food processor to make fine crumbs out of the biscuits. By hand you could place biscuits in a plastic food bag then wrap that bag in a dish towel, then pound and roll with a rolling pin or hammer or large wooden spoon.
- Combine biscuit crumbs, 1 cup shredded coconut, and 2-3 teaspoons (per taste) of the lemon rind in a bowl. Add warm milk and butter mixture. Stir until well combined.
- Press biscuit mixture into prepared pan. Refrigerate for 1 1/2 hours or until firm.
- To make lemon icing:.
- Place confectioners sugar, 40g butter and 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice in a bowl. Beat with a wooden spoon until smooth. Spread icing over chilled biscuit mixture. Refrigerate for 30 minutes until icing has set. Cut into 12 pieces.