Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
Hamburgers may be American in origin, but Aussies have created their own hearty version.
- 2 kaiser rolls
- 2 eggs, fried (keep warm)
- 2 -4 slices bacon (fried or microwaved until desired crispness.)
- 3⁄4 lb ground beef
- 2 slices cheese, your choice
- 2 pineapple rings
- 2 slices onions
- 2 slices tomatoes
- 2 slices beetroots (red beet)
- Slice Kaiser rolls and set aside.
- Divide ground beef into 2 equal portions and shape into patties.
- Fry or grill until desired doneness.
- Place cooked patties on the kaiser roll. Stack all the other ingredients on top of patty in any order and top with ketchup.
Well, time me kangaroo down! This was one heck of a burger. I had heard about these Aussie burgers for years (living in London there are a lot of Aussie expats here) but wasn't sure if the mix would make me chunder or smile. In the spirit of the ZWT, I decided to give it a try and I am happy to report a bonza smile and no chunder whatsoever! There was so much going on in this burger that I wasn't sure I would be able to get it all in the bun. It was a tight fit and I needed to wear a bib but I managed. I liked that the burger itself was just beef and a bit of seasoning. With so much going on with the toppings putting much more in the mix would have been a waste. I used extra lean beef to counteract the guilt of cheese, bacon and egg! It was so filling that I skipped the fries. Made for Chow Hounds on ZWT5.
This was so good!And you DEFINITELY cannot be scared to get your hands dirty!! I like the sweetness of the pineapple, the comforting feel of the fried egg,and all the other contrast of flavors that go together SO WELL. Thanks for a GREAT recipe. Made for ZWT5.
You can't be scared of getting your hands messy with this beauty. Best burger ever! We also made up a spicy chile mayo sauce to spread on the rolls. (1/4 c ketchup, 1/4 c mayo, 1 tsp chile paste). Yum! Thanks for sharing!!