Recipe by Mary Scheffert
Got this recipe off the internet after doing a Google search, and found that someone had originally bought them at Sam's Club and asked for the recipe ... just like I did! I imagine you can play with the ingredients some, and I plan to try cutting the fat (2 sticks of butter for 30 cookies??! YIKES!), but am posting the recipe exactly as I found it on the net.
Top Review by misfit1419
I actually loved these! A lot of you are complaining that your bites turned out crumbly. I followed the recipe actually as is and I didn't have that problem. I put the dry ingredients in the food processor and ground them until they were fine. I added only 1/2 cup coconut flakes as I'm not a huge fan of coconut. I used apricots, raisins and cranberries. I only had the large muffin tins so I packed firmly and cooked for about 10 minutes. I let them cool and then placed a large cookie sheet over the muffin tin and flipped. The Aussie Bites fell out of each tin perfectly. I brought them into work and everyone raved about them being better tasting then Costco's. Since then, I've shared the recipe several times. I'll keep making these. I'm ok with a little fat at all as I work out 6 days a week and compete in half marathons and obstacle course races. Great for a burst of energy! I did notice that Costco's adds organic quinoa and chia seeds. I'll probably add in the chia seeds next time.
- 2 cups oats
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 2⁄3 cup brown sugar
- 1 (3 1/2 ounce) can unsweetened coconut
- 1⁄2 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 cup dried fruit (raisins, dates, figs, cranberries, etc)
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 1 cup unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoons hot water
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (farenheit).
- Combine first six ingredients in a large bowl.
- Melt honey & butter together in microwave; set aside.
- Mix baking soda with hot water and add to butter mixture.
- Pour butter mixture into dry ingredients and mix well.
- Place tablespoons of mixture into non-stick mini-muffin cups (no need to grease) and flatten mixture slightly. Bake 10 minutes or until golden. Cool on wire racks.