Member #610488's Note:
This recipe is for an Afghani dish called Aushak, an uncooked vegetable filled dumpling, that has a meat based sauce poured over it. Most dumplings are either meat or cheese based so these are a little unusual. Tasty though!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 shallot, minced
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 2 1/2 teaspoons cilantro leaves, ground into paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, minced
- 2 cups water, divided
- 5 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1In a large skillet, melt butter over medium high heat. Add bay leaf, onions, shallot, then garlic. Saute for 3 minutes.
- 2Add beef to the onion mixture and brown until mostly cooked through and in small pieces. Add coriander paste and ginger, stirring well, and let simmer a few minutes.
- 3Add water and the tomato paste then reduce to low heat. Keep simmering until ready to plate.
- 4Put on a large pot of water to cook dumplings. While it is rising to a boil, clean and mince/chiffonade the leeks and green onions. Reserve some green onions for garnish and combine the rest in a bowl with jalapeno, garlic, red pepper flakes, salt and pepper. Mix well.
- 5Lay out the wonton sheets. Brush a little warm water around edges of each wrapper, portion out a teaspoon of filling per dumpling and then place another wrapper on top of each, excluding as much air as possible as you press tightly to seal. Lay out on a baking sheet.
- 6Salt water when it has reached the boiling point then gently drop in dumplings. Cook for about 2 minutes each and then remove and drain.
- 7Spoon a light swirl of sauce in the center of each plate then lay 2 or 3 dumplings on top. Dress with sauce. Season yogurt with salt and pepper. Place a dollop on center of each plate over dumplings. Garnish with green onions and eat.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aushak (Afghani Green Onion Dumplings)
Serving Size: 1 (593 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 727.1
- Calories from Fat 255
- Total Fat 28.3 g
- Saturated Fat 13.0 g
- Cholesterol 116.1 mg
- Sodium 921.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 79.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.0 g
- Sugars 11.9 g
- Protein 37.6 g