Shar Cooks's Note:
A traditional South African tart (the milk tart, not Aunty Sue!!) I know it is a lot of milk and eggs, but really good comfort food.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cake flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 pinch salt
- 1For the PASTRY, cream the sugar and butter, add the egg and beat again.
- 2Add the flour and baking powder. Mix until a soft dough is formed.
- 3Using your fingers, press the dough into the bottom and sides of 1 large or 2 small pie plates.
- 4Leave in fridge to cool.
- 5For the FILLING, Mix the sugar, egg yolks, flour, cornflour, salt and vanilla essence to a smooth paste in a small dish.
- 6Bring the milk to the boil.
- 7Add the flour paste slowly to the milk, whisking well to stop lumps.
- 8Take the pot off the stove and add the butter.
- 9Beat the egg whites stiffly and fold into this custard mixture.
- 10Pour the filling into the pie crusts.
- 11Bake at 180°C for about 25 minutes, or until the top is golden brown.
- 12Sprinkle with cinnamon and allow to cool completely, allowing the filling to set.
Browse Our Top Tarts Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Tarts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunty Sue's Milk Tart
Serving Size: 1 (244 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 477.2
- Calories from Fat 188
- Total Fat 20.9 g
- Saturated Fat 11.3 g
- Cholesterol 265.8 mg
- Sodium 423.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.6 g
- Sugars 23.5 g
- Protein 16.3 g