Prep 10 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From my Great Aunt Alta's recipe collection. Aunt Alta was a member in a local ladies "gourmet" club and this is one of the recipes she made for one of the club dinners.
- 2 (10 ounce) boxes frozen cut green beans (or 1 green, one yellow)
- 2 cups canned tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup sliced red onion
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups celery, sliced
- 3⁄4 cup green bell pepper, seeded & sliced (optional)
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons minute tapioca
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- Mix all except butter together and pour into a covered casserole large enough to hold everything.
- Dot with butter, cover, and bake in a preheated 350 F oven for 2 hours OR cook on lowest heat in a covered suacepan for 40 minutes, then pour into a covered casserole and bake 1 hour.
My son prepared this recipe for a District Food Show and he won 3rd place, because of the color and variety of vegetables. He used Yellow pepper instead of green, so it would add a different dimension. We also added some garlic, so it would smell really good too. Thanks for the recipe!