Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr
We went back home to visit family this summer. My family and my husband's family, are both Italian. While visiting, his aunt made this wonderful tomato sauce, which was a part of her eggplant parmesan. It's simple and tasty.
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato puree
- fresh basil, to taste
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for sauteing
- Saute 1/2 chopped onion in the olive oil.
- Add the large can of tomato puree when the garlic has softened. At this time also add the fresh basil leaves, 1/4 tsp of sugar, 1 tomato can full of water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer with cover half on, until the oil comes to the top of the sauce. This should be about an hour.