Recipe by Red Dog
We went back home to visit family this summer. My family and my husband's family, are both Italian. While visiting, his aunt made this wonderful tomato sauce, which was a part of her eggplant parmesan. It's simple and tasty.
- 1 (12 ounce) can tomato puree
- fresh basil, to taste
- 1⁄2 onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon sugar
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, for sauteing
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute 1/2 chopped onion in the olive oil.
- Add the large can of tomato puree when the garlic has softened. At this time also add the fresh basil leaves, 1/4 tsp of sugar, 1 tomato can full of water, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Simmer with cover half on, until the oil comes to the top of the sauce. This should be about an hour.