My nephew's ask for this pie on every holiday and special occasions. We vary the crusts often...favourites are ginger cookie crust and shortbread crust. My secret ingredient is to put the whipping cream into the filling to mellow all the lovely spices I use...
- 1 pie crust, unbaked (your favourite)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree (14 oz can)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees In a large bowl mix together eggs, whipping cream, pumpkin and salt.
- Blend well.
- Mix together sugar and spices.
- Add sugar and spice mixture to pumpkin mixture.
- Pour into an unbaked 9" pie crust.
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 45- 50 minutes.
- (filling should be firm) Excellant served hot or cold, with your favourite topping or plain.
Wonderful filling to this pie. Made in 10" square dish,, added extra pumpkin and one more egg.We live in Spain and although pumpkin is popular here, if you have a garden you grow some.BUT, it is mainly used for soup.I have cooked pies crumbles and all sorts for my Spanish friends, they are amazed that you can do so much with pumpkin.We cannot always get the ingredients here so a little imagination is called for, I had to use star anise, but the result was FAB.THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE RECIPE.good luck Brian Holley
VERY MUCH A WINNER OF A PIE, & I think your combo of spices is what did it for me! Definitely want to make this KEEPER OF A RECIPE during the winter holidays! Thanks for posting a great recipe! [Made & reviewed in the Family Picks portion of Zaar World Tour 4]
With a few spice amount increases, this pie turned out very well, it is more of a lighter, fluffy custard-like texture than a dense texture, this is one of the better pumpkin pie recipes, and will go into my favorites folder, thanks for sharing Baby K!...Kitten :)