My nephew's ask for this pie on every holiday and special occasions. We vary the crusts often...favourites are ginger cookie crust and shortbread crust. My secret ingredient is to put the whipping cream into the filling to mellow all the lovely spices I use...
- 1 pie crust, unbaked (your favourite)
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 1⁄2 cups pumpkin puree (14 oz can)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄3 cups brown sugar, lightly packed
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon mace
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon clove
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground aniseed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground celery seed
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees In a large bowl mix together eggs, whipping cream, pumpkin and salt.
- Blend well.
- Mix together sugar and spices.
- Add sugar and spice mixture to pumpkin mixture.
- Pour into an unbaked 9" pie crust.
- Bake at 450 for 10 minutes then lower heat to 350 degrees and bake for 45- 50 minutes.
- (filling should be firm) Excellant served hot or cold, with your favourite topping or plain.