WELL - this is a yummy one! My kids LOVE to help make these! ENJOY! D
Make and share this Auntie's Delicious Soft Pretzels, Amish Recipe recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (approx 105 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups occident flour (bread flour)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup baking soda, into
- 3 cups hot water
- sweet creamy butter, for 'dipping' face of pretzels after baking (melt butter, then let set a few minutes, and use paper towel to remove cream which will float to the)
- Dissolve yeast into warm water.
- Add sugar, then flour& mix well- do not 'knead' as this toughens the dough.
- (Mix just until combined well) Let rise until doubled, at least 20 minutes.
- Cut into long 'ropes'.
- Shape into pretzel shapes, then dip into prepared dipping solution.
- Place on well-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake at 500-550°F for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Dip face of pretzel into melted butter.
- Variation: add 1 t vanilla to the dough.
- Flavor variations.
- Cinnamon/sugar- omit salt& dip into cinnamon sugar after face has been coated with butter.
- Sour cream& onion- after dipping face of pretzel in butter, sprinkle with sour cream& onion powder Garlic- same as sour cream& onion, but use garlic powder.
- Sesame or poppy seed--BEFORE baking, AFTER dipping into dipping solution, dip pretzel face-down into the seeds, then bake.
- Salt is optional with this one.
Very good copy cat! I've made this a few times trying to get the appearance and fluffy-ness right. Be very delicate when rolling into a log, I found the easiest way is to use a pizza cutter and cut a strip out of the dough-ball. Half the work is done for you already then. I find it better if you let the pretzels sit for 5-10 minutes after the baking soda bath on the cookie sheet. This lets them rise a little, and make a better shape, all while giving it an airy texture.
-This works in a bread machine on normal dough/rise setting.
-you can make stuffed pretzels easy by stuffing with slivers of string cheese!
-insulated baking sheet helps with reviews bottom burning concern
-450 Degrees works well at 8-10 minutes
These are AMAZING!!!! I nearly gave up on ever making the perfect pretzel, but now I've done it! We also like to make "pretzel pups" (1/4 hot dog wrapped in dough) and another version with cheese sticks baked in the middle. Wonderful!
Great taste if you like Auntie Anne's pretzels. Big hit with my family. Very easy to make. I put all the ingredients in my Kitchen Aide with a dough hook and it works perfect. Makes them even easier to make. We make them almost every Sunday night now. The kids love to shape them.