WELL - this is a yummy one! My kids LOVE to help make these! ENJOY! D
Make and share this Auntie's Delicious Soft Pretzels, Amish Recipe recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄4 cups water (approx 105 degrees)
- 1 tablespoon yeast
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 2 cups occident flour (bread flour)
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 cup baking soda, into
- 3 cups hot water
- sweet creamy butter, for 'dipping' face of pretzels after baking (melt butter, then let set a few minutes, and use paper towel to remove cream which will float to the)
- Dissolve yeast into warm water.
- Add sugar, then flour& mix well- do not 'knead' as this toughens the dough.
- (Mix just until combined well) Let rise until doubled, at least 20 minutes.
- Cut into long 'ropes'.
- Shape into pretzel shapes, then dip into prepared dipping solution.
- Place on well-greased cookie sheet and sprinkle with pretzel salt.
- Bake at 500-550°F for 4-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Dip face of pretzel into melted butter.
- Variation: add 1 t vanilla to the dough.
- Flavor variations.
- Cinnamon/sugar- omit salt& dip into cinnamon sugar after face has been coated with butter.
- Sour cream& onion- after dipping face of pretzel in butter, sprinkle with sour cream& onion powder Garlic- same as sour cream& onion, but use garlic powder.
- Sesame or poppy seed--BEFORE baking, AFTER dipping into dipping solution, dip pretzel face-down into the seeds, then bake.
- Salt is optional with this one.