Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
My aunt came up with this recipe through trial and error and I lightened it up and am entering it for the nutrition information. I have tried many recipes and this one is the best, light or not!
- 4 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 5 cups skim milk
- 4 tablespoons olivio spread
- 5 cups shredded reduced-fat cheddar cheese
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (or other shape like radiatore or cavatappi)
- 4 slices light whole wheat bread, crusts removed
- In large saucepan, combine first four ingredients; stir in milk. Add butter; stirring constantly, bring to a boil over medium-high heat and boil 1 minutes. *This is very important but make sure you don't burn the milk or else you will get an undesirable smoky taste to your dish!* Remove from heat.
- Stir in 4 coups cheese until melted. Add elbows. Pour into lightly greased 9x13 casserole.
- Coarsely shred bread in food processor, then mix crumbs with the remaining cup of cheese. Spread over top of macaroni.
- Bake uncovered in 375 degree oven for 25-40 minutes until browned to desired doneness.
- Enjoy! Makes great leftovers!
- *Cheese should be 3 Cups Reduced Fat Sharp Cheddar and 2 Cups Reduced Fat Mexican Four Cheese Blend.