Prep 25 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is a real crowd pleaser- LOVE IT!! There have always been rave reviews when we make it. It also freezes well :) Enjoy! Sometimes I will pre-make a double batch the day before a dinner party. I freeze half and the next day I reheat in slowcooker or stove top so I can enjoy my company vs. cooking :) I add a lot of mushrooms--
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans Italian-style diced tomatoes
- 2 (15 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon marjoram
- 8 ounces mushrooms (optional- I add more)
- Brown the beef and italian sausage in a large, heavy bottomed pot, then drain off the fat (some family members do not drain- depending on fat content of meat) .
- Add the onion, green pepper, and garlic and saute until the onion is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste, tomato sauce, italian diced tomatoes, seasonings, and sugar.
- Simmer for 30 (or more) minutes (I simmer for hours) . The sauce will keep for several days covered and refrigerated. Serve with spaghetti or your favorite pasta.