Prep 5 mins
Cook 4 hrs
This makes some YUMMY pork!! I found this recipe a few years ago on line when I was throwing a luau. It went over so well that people still ask "Are you making that awesome pork" every time we have a party!
- 5 -8 lbs pork butt
- 6 tablespoons of hawaiian salt (judge the amount of salt for yourself!!) or 6 tablespoons kosher salt (judge the amount of salt for yourself!!)
- 10 tablespoons liquid smoke
- 6 ti leaves or 6 banana leaves
- aluminum foil
- Preheat oven to 500deg.
- Slit pork in several places, rub salt and liquid smoke into pork.
- Wrap pork with ti leaves, then in the foil, place on a small rack in a baking pan,.
- Lower heat to 400deg.,
- bake for 4hrs.
- Shred pork and add juices from the pan to the pork, according to your taste. Enjoy!
- (note: Liquid Smoke is available in supermarkets.
- in the BBQ section).
I made this recipe for a Hawaiian friend. He was very skeptical that it was going to come out dry, because his family has to baste the pork every 10 minutes when they make it. I was fully prepared for an "I told you so", but the pork came out AMAZING! This is now a recipe I make maybe once/month because it is soooo easy to prepare. To finish off the dish I slice up green cabbage and steam it in the juices from the meat, then shredd the pork with forks and mix it up with the cabbage and serve over rice. YUM!
I made this for a luau. It was perfect. I was nervous that it would dry out but it didn't. The meat was juicy and fell off the bone. I used cabbage leaves instead of ti or banana leaves because that was all I could get around here.