Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are so good. I love them and have been trying to get the recipe for awhile now. My aunt finally came through for me and dug it out.
- 1 lb hamburger
- 1 egg
- 1⁄4 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 2 medium potatoes, grated
- 1 medium onion, diced
- salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- Mix the first 7 ingredients.
- Roll into 1" balls and brown, they seem to stick, so you need to watch them closely. Place in a greased 9x13 pan.
- Melt the butter in a saucepan, add flour and then the milk.
- When the flour has dissolved into the milk, add the can of soup, heat through. Pour over the meatballs and bake uncovered at 325°F for 30 minutes.
- Sprinkle with shredded cheese when removed from the oven.
Very good meatballs...moist and soft, with an easy-to-make, tasty sauce I will certainly use for other dishes. DS and DH both give a hearty two-thumbs-up! These meatballs are, as you can tell by reading the recipe, lacking in seasoning...but that does not detract from the dish (although I confess I likely will add some herbs next time--and I certainly will make these again). There is a wee problem with the time listed for the recipe -- the browning of the meatballs should be included in the cooking time (btw, I browned them in the oven for 20 minutes on a cookie sheet sprayed with Pam and had no sticking problem). Served with veggies and egg noodles, this made for a terrific dinner!
These meatballs are terrific served with potato salad. The hot and cold combination goes really well together. My friend and family like them very much.
It was a good dish, but like it did lack some flavour for my personal taste. Moist meatballs though!