1/3 Photos of Auntie Em's Coconut Cupcakes
lynnski / LA's Note:
These are billowy, irresistible coconut cupcakes with a coconut cream cheese frosting. Just the thing to have when you really need a coconut fix. The recipe is adapted from Auntie Em's, (auntieemskitchen.com) a hundred year old restaurant located in the Eagle Rock community of Los Angeles. It features home cooking.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 1/3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 1 3/4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 2Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- 3In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- 4In the large bowl of a stand mixer, combine the oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract and sugar.
- 5On low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until smooth, careful not to overmix.
- 6Gently fold in the coconut.
- 7Place 18 paper muffin-tin-liners into muffin-tin cups (or grease the cups with butter).
- 8Fill each cup with a generous 1/4 cup of batter, so that it comes 3/4 th's up the side of each cup.
- 9Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a wood pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- 10Remove the cupcakes to a rack and allow to cool completely.
- 12Beat the cream cheese on low speed until smooth, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- 13Add the butter and continue mixing on medium speed until smooth.
- 14Scrape down the bowl again.
- 15Add the powdered sugar in three additions at low speed, after each addition scrape down the bowl again.
- 16Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- 17Frost each cupcakes with 3 teaspoon frosting and sprinkle with shredded
- 19The cupcakes will keep for about 3 days.
Browse Our Top Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Cake Fillings and Frostings Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Auntie Em's Coconut Cupcakes
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 18
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 513.9
- Calories from Fat 268
- Total Fat 29.8 g
- Saturated Fat 13.7 g
- Cholesterol 62.3 mg
- Sodium 367.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 58.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.1 g
- Sugars 45.0 g
- Protein 4.4 g