Recipe by lynnski / LA
These are billowy, irresistible coconut cupcakes with a coconut cream cheese frosting. Just the thing to have when you really need a coconut fix. The recipe is adapted from Auntie Em's, (auntieemskitchen.com) a hundred year old restaurant located in the Eagle Rock community of Los Angeles. It features home cooking.
- 2 1⁄3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons almond extract
- 1 1⁄3 cups sugar
- 1 3⁄4 cups sweetened flaked coconut
- 1⁄2 lb cream cheese, at room temperature
- 5⁄8 cup butter, at room temperature
- 3 1⁄3 cups powdered sugar (iceing sugar)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 1⁄2 cups sweetened flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium bowl, sift the flour, baking soda and salt and set aside.
- In the large bowl of a stand mixer, combine the oil, buttermilk, eggs, vanilla extract and sugar.
- On low speed, slowly mix the dry ingredients into the wet ingredients just until smooth, careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in the coconut.
- Place 18 paper muffin-tin-liners into muffin-tin cups (or grease the cups with butter).
- Fill each cup with a generous 1/4 cup of batter, so that it comes 3/4 th's up the side of each cup.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a wood pick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes to a rack and allow to cool completely.
- Beat the cream cheese on low speed until smooth, scrape down the sides of the bowl.
- Add the butter and continue mixing on medium speed until smooth.
- Scrape down the bowl again.
- Add the powdered sugar in three additions at low speed, after each addition scrape down the bowl again.
- Add 1 teaspoon vanilla and mix on medium speed until fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Frost each cupcakes with 3 teaspoon frosting and sprinkle with shredded
- The cupcakes will keep for about 3 days.