Prep 1 hr
Cook 25 mins
I was in Israel for passover and for dessert there was chocolate cake, chocolate cake, more chocolate cake and this - to my surprise even though the chocolate cake was absolutely lovely, I prefered My aunt Yehudit's meringue layer cake, I had never tasted anything like it before! This is another Hebrew to English translation done by my mother. prep time is estimated - sorry if it's out. One warning though, this cake is VERY VERY rich. Note: I bake 1/2 the meringue mixture at the time, the oven really needs lowering though and it takes a lot less time.
- 180 g finely ground nuts
- 1 3⁄4 cups icing sugar
- 120 g coarse ground nuts
- 6 egg whites
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon coffee liqueur
- 250 g whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee granules, dissolved in
- 1 tablespoon boiling water
- 2⁄3 tablespoon icing sugar
- coarse roasted nuts
- Preheat oven to 170°C.
- Mix nuts and icing sugar.
- Whisk eggs white with 1 tablespoon sugar until white.
- Gradually add the 1/4 cup of sugar whisk until stiff peaks form.
- Fold nut and sugar mix, into the meringue.
- Cover a tray with baking paper, pour a thin layer of meringue to desired shape.
- Sprinkle some nuts over (if not roasted already).
- Bake for 25 mins or until done (not hard).
- When cool cut into 2 or 3.
- Whip cream and mix with filling ingredients .
- Pipe or gently spread filling over layers taking care not to break meringue.
- Chill in fridge - then serve.