Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr
Recipe originally posted May 27. 2003. This has been well liked by anyone I have made it for. Even picky eaters have liked it. Kids have loved it too. You can use ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, Italian sausage or pork sausage. The sour cream and mayonnaise add a little bit of tartness and flavor to it. It is really good served with corn. It is really good the next day as leftovers or made the night before and refrigerated (before baking). It can easily be reheated in a microwave oven. You can also make it without baking it. Just put the cheese over the rice-meat mixture and heat in the skillet until it is hot and bubbly and cheese has melted. Edited July 30, 2009 I am allergic to pepper so I don't add it to my recipes. Use salt and pepper according to personal taste.
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground beef or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground turkey or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb ground chicken or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb pork sausage or 1 -1 1⁄2 lb Italian sausage
- 1 (10 3/4 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream (optional)
- 1 cup mayonnaise (optional)
- grated cheddar cheese (mild, medium or sharp, depending on desired amount)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Grease a 9x13-inch cake pan or large covered baking dish.
- Set aside.
- Bring water to a boil.
- Stir in the rice and bring it to a boil.
- Lower heat.
- Boil rice for 15 minutes or until it is done, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, brown the meat you are using.
- If you are using ground turkey, you may need to add a little bit of water to get it to cook easily and to make it less dry no need to drain if using ground turkey.
- If there is any grease drain it.
- Add the soup, sour cream and mayonnaise to the meat.
- Stir together and heat until it is bubbly.
- Stir in the rice and mix thoroughly.
- If mixture is too thick add a little bit of water or milk to desired consistency (about 1/4-1/2 cup).
- Pour mixture into the greased pan or baking dish.
- Cover with cheddar cheese.
- If using a cake pan, cover with foil.
- If using a covered baking dish cover it with the lid.
- Bake in oven for 45-60 minutes or until hot and bubbly and cheese is melted.
- Remove from oven and let stand for about 5 minutes before serving.
- Serve with salad and/or vegetables.
We had this for supper tonight.We 3 ate it and there are leftovers for tomorrow night. My dh said delicious, my daughter gave it 4*.I only used about 1/2 cup sour cream as we don't like it to overpowering. Mo mayo. Will make again.
I prepared this recipe using the stove top only as mentioned in your intro and it turned out very well. I used the ground beef version with sour cream and half of the mayo. I tested the meat mixture and thought it needed some onion and garlic so tossed that in too. All in all, it was enjoyed by everyone and I didn't heat the house up to make dinner. My son dislikes rice, so I kept some of the meat mixture out for him to put over potatoes and he liked it that way. Thx for sharing your recipe.
This was very tasty. I used ground beef and mayo. I also mixed some of the cheese in with the rice/meat mix. I forgot to cover the pan but it still turned out well. Even my non-rice loving hubby enjoyed it.