Recipe by AuntWoofieWoof
I have been making my Macaroni Salad like this for years. . The juice from the green olives and pickles really add to the flavor of the salad. Slice the olives and pickles before measuring them. This is really good if you make it the night before you are going to serve it. It gives the different flavors and juices a chance to blend really well. I don't like my pasta salads with a lot of mustard so I use horseradish sauce. You can replace it with more mustard if you want. I use the mustard for color only. Prep time is approximate. Cook time is the refrigeration time. This recipe can easily be doubled.
- 1 cup uncooked salad macaroni (or any kind of macaroni)
- 2 quarts water, in a pan
- 1 1⁄4 cups mayonnaise or 1 1⁄4 cups Miracle Whip
- 2 tablespoons horseradish sauce (optional)
- 1 tablespoon brine, from green olives
- 1 tablespoon brine, from pickles
- 1⁄2 tablespoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard (for color, you can add more if you want.)
- 1⁄4 cup milk (if needed)
- 2 tablespoons sliced green olives
- 2 tablespoons sliced black olives
- 4 tablespoons chopped hamburger dill pickle slices
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 2 hard-boiled eggs, diced
- 1 hard-boiled egg, sliced
- paprika (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Bring water to a boil and add macaroni.
- Cook until macaroni is done.
- Drain, rinse and set aside.
- In a medium sized bowl mix next 6 ingredients together until well blended.
- If the mixture is too thick add the milk a little at a time until desired consistency is reached.
- Add the sliced black and green olives, chopped pickles, chopped onion and chopped egg.
- Stir until well blended.
- Add the macaroni and mix well until the macaroni is covered with the mixture.
- You may need to add a little bit more milk to make it easier to mix together.
- Add a tablespoon or so at a time.
- Garnish with the egg slices.
- Sprinkle with Paprika if desired.
- Refrigerate for at least one hour or overnight before serving.