Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I thought I would revert back to my roots and post a truly southern recipe this time. My aunt Willie Jo was probably the best old fashioned southern cook that I have ever met. This is one of my personal favorites of her recipes.
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Pierce sweet potatoes with a fork and microwave on high until tender, about 6 minutes on each side. Cut open; cool completely.
- Scrape potato flesh into bowl; mash until smooth.
- Measure out enough potato puree to equal 1 cup, discard the rest.
- Cream together sweet potatoes, butter, buttermilk, eggs and sugar. Add spices and baking soda and blend well.
- Pour half into each crust and bake on 400 for about 45 minutes or until set in center.
- (Adding a dollop of whipped cream to the top of each piece while it is still warm is a very special treat!).
WOW!!! I made this sweet potato pie for my family's holiday dinner, and afterwards 3 people took me aside to tell me how fabulous it was -- one said it was the best she'd ever had! As I'm not known for my cooking, perhaps some of their amazement was that I was the one who had brought it LOL LOL Thank you, Chef Menel, for the image boost and happy family!