Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 0 mins
My mother got this recipe from her sister Viv, don't know where she got it, but I love it. It is not too sweet, is soooo creamy smooth. I always loved it when mom made it on a cake for strawberries. I still use it, and love it on a Butter Pecan Cake, I am often asked to bring that for a desert. This frosting would go great on any flavor.For those of us who don't always want a sugary frosting, you can't get better than this.
- Cook the flour and milk SLOWLY over LOW heat.
- Stir constantly until the mixture thickens.
- Put in refrigerator to chill.
- Then blend the butter, shortening, sugar, and vanilla in mixer till well mixed.
- Then add the cool, flour mixture.
- Beat for several minutes til fluffy. Make sure to mix well. It should be a very creamy texture.
Really really excellent, not-too-sweet frosting! I agree that it is a little bit time consuming as it takes me a while to slowly thicken the milk and flour but it's worth it in the end.... and this frosting pipes well too! Everyone I've ever made it for loves it :)
I added a little bit of almond extract to it...yummy :)
A little time consuming at the stovetop, but it hasn't stopped me from making it again and again. Very light and not too sweet, just as said. A favorite for all who sample!