Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I've had friends make this recipe without the bacon and it just isn't the same. If you'd like to cut fat, use turkey bacon and decrease the oil and butter the onion is sauteed in. Adjust the amount of tomatoes/puree depending on how thick you like your sauce. May use Italian sausage instead of ground beef, but you may need to adjust herb quantities.
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 ounces red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fennel
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 cup tomato
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, finely diced
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely diced
- Saute onion in oil and butter.
- Add ground beef and bacon and brown, add garlic and sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add wine and season with red pepper, basil, fennel, oregano and chopped parsley.
- Add tomatoes, puree, paste, carrots and celery.
- Simmer at least 30 minutes.