Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
A favorite around our house for birthday's.
- 2 cups sugar
- 2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups butter
- 1 cup water
- 8 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄2 cup milk, plus
- 6 tablespoons milk
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 4 teaspoons vanilla extract, dividied
- 1 1⁄2 cups chopped nuts (optional)
- 1 (1 lb) box powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350*.
- Grease and flour a jellyroll pan.
- For cake: in a large bowl whisk together- 2c.sugar, 2c.flour and 1/2 tsp.of salt, and 1 tsp.baking soda. Set aside.
- In another bowl mix together- 2 eggs, 1/2c.milk, 1 Tblsp.vinegar, 1 tsp. vanilla, and, if desired, 1/2c.nuts. Set aside.
- In a pot over medium heat melt 2 sticks of butter. Add 1c. water, 4 Tblsp. cocoa powder and mix until encorperated. Remove from heat and cool slightly.
- To cooled butter mixture add, little by little and mixing constantly- the egg mixture.
- Then dump all into the big bowl full of the flour mixture. Stir until JUST combined.
- Pour into greased/floured pan and bake 25 minutes or until cake springs back when touched.
- For icing: In a pot melt 1 stick of butter, 4 Tblsp. cocoa powder and 6 Tblsp. of milk.
- Take off of heat and add powdered sugar, 1 Tblsp. vanilla, and, if desired, 1c. nuts. Beat until smooth. Pour over slightly warm cake. Will harden as it cools.
A good recipe for this tried and true cake. I had a problem with the frosting not setting up. I used two cups of powdered sugar, and so I'm supposing that wasn't enough. Next time I"ll know:-)