Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
- 3 cups cut up pitted dates (about 1 lb.)
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter, softened
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oatmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- Date filling: Combine 3 cups cut up pitted dates (about 1 lb), 1/4 cup sugar and 1 1/2 cups water in a saucepan.
- Cook 10 minutes over low heat, stirring frequently until thickened.
- Prepare date filling; while filling is cooking, preheat oven to 400°; grease a 13x9 baking pan.
- Mix brown sugar, butter and shortning until blended; stir in flour, oatmeal, salt and baking soda until crumbly.
- Press half of the crumbly mixture onto bottom of pan; spoon date filling evenly over crumbs, spreading carefully to edges of pan.
- Sprinkle remaining crumbly mixture over filling; press lightly.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until light brown.
- Cut into 2 x 1 1/2 inch bars while still warm.
These are so good I just got through making a batch...thank you for sharing
Loved this recipe. I had a sleeve of precooked dates from a local country store that I used making this recipe so easy to do. I weighed about a pound of precooked dates,mixed the remaining ingredients s and it took very little time. Thanks for sharing this recipe!!
My husband lost his mother's recipe that he remembers for date bars, about 30 years ago, I made this one and he said it brought him back in time. They are delicious!! Its a keeper!