Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
My Aunt Sue (also a Michigander) used to make this at her cabin by the lake for summertime parties. A bit of an indulgence for me, but oh so delicious!
- 1 head lettuce, cut up
- 0.5 (1 1/4 ounce) package taco seasoning
- 2 tomatoes, chopped
- 1 (8 ounce) package fat-free cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 (18 ounce) bottle fat-free thousand island salad dressing (or Catalina, if you prefer)
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, drained (can be omitted)
- 4 cups nacho cheese flavor Doritos, broken up
- Brown turkey and onions, drain and rinse. Return to pan and stir in taco seasonings. Refrigerate.
- Mix together remaining ingredients, add meat mix.
- Add Doritos and dressing when ready to serve (otherwise it will get soggy).
I've been making this for 35 years but also add 1/2 chopped green pepper, 1 can sliced black olives and ground sirloin instead of ground turkey(personal preference). Every time I have a houseful of people I am requested(demanded!) to make it.
I did this with chicken mince tonight - it was great. Next time I will add an avocado if I have a ripe one on hand but even without this was a quick and light evening meal for summer. I served the dressing on the side so everyone could help themselves too.