Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is the second recipe my aunt gave me for her tortilla's. I like them both, hope you do too.
Make and share this Aunt Sharleen's Flour Tortilla Receipe# 2 recipe from Food.com.
- Mix the flour and salt together "I use a sifter" in a bowl then cut in the lard or shortening until the mixture resembles bread crumbs.
- Gradually add the water to form a soft pliable dough "you might need more or less water depending on the type of day."
- Knead the dough on a well-floured surface until smooth and no longer sticky.
- Divide the dough into 12 pieces, keep the dough that is not being worked covered to prevent it from drying out.
- Knead each piece into a ball, then roll out each piece into a very thin circle, using a 10-inch plate as a guide.
- Stack the tortillas as you make them, flouring each one well to prevent them from sticking together. Cover with a clean cloth. " I use wax paper between each layer to prevent from sticking. Once you get the hang of it while one is cooking you can roll out the next one.
- Heat a heavy-base griddle or skillet until evenly hot, carefully add a tortilla. Cook for about 10 seconds per side. "the tortilla will rise up that’s ok cook each side until very lightly brown.
- Stack and cover each with wax paper so they do not stick. Do not use any oil in skillet while cooking the tortillas the skillet needs to be dry. You might need to wipe the skillet from time to time to get rid of any extra flour.