1/1 Photo of Aunt Sara's Chicken Paprikash
1 hr 50 mins
1 hr 30 mins
My Godmother makes the 'absolute best' chicken paprikash in the world. The reason....she adds veggies to the chicken while she's stewing it! The sour cream gravy actually tastes like something when you're eating it. It's not just onions, paprika and sour cream. Hope you like it, we sure do! We've enjoyed this recipe for 50 years!!! Comfort food at its best!!!! YYYUUUMMM!!!!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 lbs chicken breasts or 1 1/2 lbs chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons sweet Hungarian paprika
- 2 tablespoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 48 ounces chicken broth
- 2 carrots, peeled and cut in half
- 2 celery ribs, cut in half
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 medium tomato, quartered
- 1 cup fresh parsley, uncut
- 16 ounces sour cream
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1Lightly flour the chicken and brown in the oil.
- 2Add the paprika, onion powder, salt, pepper, vegetables, parsley and chicken broth.
- 3Simmer until the chicken is cooked, approximately one hour. Remove the chicken pieces and cool slightly or until you are able to remove the meat from the bones.
- 4Pour the broth through a colander back into the kettle and discard the vegetables. Cool the broth slightly.
- 5Combine the sour cream, water and flour until smooth and stir into the warm broth to make a creamy, slightly thick gravy.
- 6Bring 4 quarts of water to a boil and make the dumpling dough.
- 7In a large bowl beat the eggs, add the water, flour and salt to make a sticky dough. Put the dough on a large plate and cut dumplings with a spoon into the boiling water. The size that you make them is totally your call. We like them to be about grape size but you can certainly make them smaller. if you happen to have a spatzele cutter this works great as well. Stir and cook the dumplings for about 5 minutes or until the float on the top of the water. Drain well.
- 8Add the chicken pieces back into the gravy and server over the dumplings. YYYUUUUMMMM!
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunt Sara's Chicken Paprikash
Serving Size: 1 (719 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1077.0
- Calories from Fat 498
- Total Fat 55.4 g
- Saturated Fat 23.0 g
- Cholesterol 320.2 mg
- Sodium 2878.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 81.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.4 g
- Sugars 7.5 g
- Protein 62.1 g