Prep 15 mins
Cook 3 hrs
You just have to try it...It's the best.
- 3 large onions, sliced thin
- 8 whole allspice
- salt and pepper
- garlic powder (optional)
- Hungarian paprika
- 5 -6 lbs beef brisket, first cut
- Remove any excess fat from brisket, but leave a little on top. Place one half of the onions on bottom of pan. Season the onions with a litle salt, pepper, garlic powder and lots of Hungarian paprika.
- Place brisket on top of onions.
- Place other half of onions and allspice on top of the brisket.
- Cover tight and roast in a 300 degree oven for 3 hours.
- Test your brisket and when it is fork tender, take it out. Let it cool and then slice it very thin. Strain juice and either thicken it with a little cornstarch or serve as is au jus, with onions (as I do).
- This is best made in advance. Note: I refrigerate the juices and get rid of the fat that rises to the top. Before serving I pour it over the sliced brisket and reheat in the oven until heated through.