Recipe by Mme M
These are just like the wonderful cookies at Winkler's Bakery in Old Salem, NC. These are from a 1940s Geneva, OH community cookbook.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 cup hot water
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 4 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream the sugar and shortening together.
- Add two beaten eggs. Blend well.
- Add the ginger, cinnamon and salt. Blend.
- Add the molasses. Blend well.
- Dissolve the 2 teaspoons of baking soda in 1/2 cup of hot water.
- When it is just warm add it to the other preparation. Smooth it all.
- Add the flour incrementally until the mixture is right for making drop cookies.
- Drop from a teaspoon onto a greased cookie sheet. One teaspoon of cookie mix makes a 3" cookie.
- Bake 8 - 9 minutes at 350°F.
- Leave cookies on the pan a little bit before removing.
- Rest the dough in the refrigerator between batches.