Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I detested this stuff growing up...it was bland sometimes bitter & always the dish that MANY at my family gatherings would pass on over the years. Some years ago I became intrigued by wanting to make this traditional holiday fare into something that would be scrumptious to taste and be eaten up, so I worked and experimented. Finally I came up with this recipe. My family really LOVES it and often friends and family go back for 2nd and 3rd helpings. Without further ado.. here is Sweet Potato/Yam casserole.
- 7 yams or 7 sweet potatoes
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1⁄4 cup caramel sauce
- white miniature marshmallow
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- Take washed yams/sweet potatoes and wrap in foil.
- Place wrapped yam/sweet potatoes in oven with seam of foil up.
- Bake for 1 1/2 hours or till done.
- Take foil off and let cool for 10 - 15 minutes.
- Peel skin off of each potato, which comes off super easy, and put each potato in a large mixing bowl.
- Add butter, cinnamon, vanilla, brown sugar to sweet potatoes and mix with an electric mixer. Make sure it is mixed well with no clumps.
- Take mixture and add to a 2 1/2 quart or 13x9 bake dish which has been buttered or sprayed with cooking spray.
- Spoon over the top the caramel sauce.
- Return to oven at 375°F for 20 minutes
- Cover top with mini marshmallows--enough to cover the whole top of dish. Return to oven for 10 more minutes. The marshmallows should be melted and crispy but not dark browned.
- Take out and let sit for 10- 20 minutes.
- Serve and enjoy.