Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
Use this icing to cover Peachtree Street Gingerbread Cake(Peachtree Street Gingerbread Cake)! This recipe comes from the "Gone With The Wind Cook Book - Famous Southern Cooking Recipes". There is a note in the foreward which I love: "Gone With The Wind told of a style of living. as well as a romantic drama, A way of living, playing, and eating that thrilled us all."
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Combine sugars and milk and bring to the boil, stirring gently.
- Boil without stirring, until a little mixture forms a very soft ball when dropped in cold water.
- Add butter, remove from heat and cool until lukewarm.
- Beat at medium speed until thick, creamy, and of a consistency to spread.
- If necessary, place over hot water to keep soft while spreading, or beat in a little milk.
- This will fill and frost a 2-layer 9 inch cake.
My husband volunteered to bring dessert for his staff Thanksgiving party. He wanted me to make something non-traditional, so we decided on cupcakes. I made yellow cupcakes with this icing as well as chocolate cupcakes with chocolate icing and the caramel ones were the hands down favorites.