Recipe by Sara 76
Use this icing to cover Peachtree Street Gingerbread Cake(Peachtree Street Gingerbread Cake)! This recipe comes from the "Gone With The Wind Cook Book - Famous Southern Cooking Recipes". There is a note in the foreward which I love: "Gone With The Wind told of a style of living. as well as a romantic drama, A way of living, playing, and eating that thrilled us all."
Top Review by Sherri L.
My husband volunteered to bring dessert for his staff Thanksgiving party. He wanted me to make something non-traditional, so we decided on cupcakes. I made yellow cupcakes with this icing as well as chocolate cupcakes with chocolate icing and the caramel ones were the hands down favorites.
- 1 1⁄2 cups dark brown sugar, firmly packed
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine sugars and milk and bring to the boil, stirring gently.
- Boil without stirring, until a little mixture forms a very soft ball when dropped in cold water.
- Add butter, remove from heat and cool until lukewarm.
- Beat at medium speed until thick, creamy, and of a consistency to spread.
- If necessary, place over hot water to keep soft while spreading, or beat in a little milk.
- This will fill and frost a 2-layer 9 inch cake.