Prep 0 mins
Cook 10 mins
This recipe was from my great aunt Nell. It has been a family favorite for about 50 years.
- 3⁄4 cup Crisco (shortening)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tablespoons molasses
- 2 1⁄4 cups sifted flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Thoroughly beat together Crisco, sugar, egg and molasses.
- Mix together remaining ingredients and then blend into the first mixture.
- Chill dough for 3 hours or overnight.
- Shape dough into small balls.
- Roll each ball in sugar. Using a glass covered with a wet towel, flatten each ball then sprinkle a little sugar on top.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 10 to 11 minutes.