Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my great aunt's famous sugar cookie recipe! They're her signature, and she brings them to every family gathering. I know there are a ton of other sugar cookie recipes on Zaar, but I didn't see any quite like this. They're scrumptious! She told me she got them from The Good Housekeeping Cookbook, Hearst Magazines, 1949. The prep time does not include time to chill overnight, and the serving size is an estimate!
- 2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup granulated sugar
- 1⁄2 cup vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Measure 3/4 cup sugar into a large bowl.
- Add oil and stir until well blended.
- Break eggs into small bowl and beat well with egg beater.
- Stir, with vanilla flavoring, into shortening mixture.
- Measure sifted flour, cream of tartar, soda and salt into a flour sifter; sift into a medium bowl.
- Gradually add flour mixture to shortening mixture, beating with a spoon after each addition.
- Chill bowl of cookie dough overnight, or until dough can be easily handled.
- Drop dough by FULL teaspoonsful onto greased cookie sheets.
- Sprinkle with granulated sugar (Omit sugar if cookies will be frosted).
- Flatten slightly with the bottom of a glass.
- Bake in 350 degree F oven 10-12 minutes or until done.
- Remove from oven and with broad spatula and slide at once onto rack to cool.
- NOTE: For cut-out cookies, roll to 1/8 thickness on lightly-floured board.
- Cookies will be harder than the drop cookies--use flour sparingly.
- This dough may also be rolled, chilled, and sliced like refrigerator cookies.
I love these cookies! I made these with my two year old daughter (our first baking session). Unfortunately, I realized too late I was out of oil so had to use butter, so can't review the recipe as written, but with butter they are really tasty! They are soft cookies and not overly sweet. Very good! Thanks!
I made these with oil, and they are good .. I like the ones made with butter more, and I would add a bit more sugar to the dough .. thanks, this recipe is excellent if you want cookies but have no butter on hand!
an amazing recipe worked wonders on my family although i didnt have vanilla in them so i cant give100% opinion