Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is my Nanny's sisters recipe. These are the best kolaches I have ever eaten. I finally asked for the recipe a few months back. I have not made them yet- I know I will want to eat the whole pan- they are great ! Everyone in the family fights over these- the first reviewer must not have done something correct- these are a true german kolache- very very good- not super sweet dough- just right.
- 3 cups warm milk
- 1⁄2 cup warm water
- 2⁄3 cup shortening
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 7 1⁄2-8 1⁄2 cups flour
- fruit filling
- Dissolve yeast in warm water, combine warm milk, shortening, sugar, salt and egg with dissolved yeast.
- Add flour and work just enough to mix ingredients. Let rest 5-8 minutes and work slightly.
- Let rest until doubles in size. Make balls the size of an egg.
- Put on greased baking sheet and brush with melted butter. Let rise until light and press center down and fill.
- After filling, let rise 15 minutes and bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes. Careful not to over bake - they get done fast!
- Prune Puree, Blackberry Pie Filling , Apricot Filling- you can fill w/ whatever suits your taste. I love blackberry.
- Times and servings are guesses- I have not made these- will edit after I do.
horrible - absolutely horrible - like blackberry hockey pucks - and prior i even consulted another european lady who said recipe sounds a bit 'off'...something missing ...yuppers - how right she was - so.....agree - what a waste of ingredients and my time... i have to question the amount of yeast and just what kind - all yeast is dry.... again, i agree with the prior review - skip this one ladies and gents - anyone have one we would love??? send it on then - thanks for listening
This recipe was just terrible! I brought them to work and even the guy who eats anything threw them away! Don't waist your time and money on these!!!