Recipe by Vicki in CT
This is a cake you cook in loaf pans. She always served with fresh fruit.
Top Review by katew
This is a soft and yummy cake. I did halve the recipe and made it in a 20 cm cake tin .I used yoghurt instead of buttermilk . In Australia you hardly ever see buttermilk in the supermarket .I served this as advised with fresh fruit . My choice of fruit was fresh pineapple and it was enjoyed by all.Please thank Aunt Mary.
- 3 cups flour
- 3 cups sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 6 large eggs, seperate out yolks
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
Directions See How It's Made
- Cream together flour, shortening, 2 cups sugar, and then add yolks one at a time. Add buttermilk, salt, soda, and vanilla.
- In a seperate bowl beat egg whites until stiff and add 1 cup remaining sugar. Gently fold this into other batter.
- Pour into two greased and floured loaf pans and cook at 350 degrees for for one hour and 10 minutes or until done.
- I cut strawberries and toss with sugar to make their own syrup and pour these over cooled cake slices.