Recipe by Smiling in Texas
This is a fantastic cake. I got the recipe from a great-aunt who can cook absolutly ANYTHING. It is not terribly sweet, butI have never heard any complaints!
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 5 eggs, seperated
- 2 cups sugar
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup shortening
- 2 cups flour, sifted
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 4 ounces coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Combined baking soda and buttermilk and let stand for a few minutes.
- Cream sugar, butter, and shortening.
- Add egg yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add buttermilk mixture and flour alternately until combined.
- Stir in vanilla.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Fold stiff egg whites into batter along with coconut and pecans.
- Evenly divide mixture between 3 well greased and floured, 9 inch pans.
- Bake at 325 for 25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out cleanly.
- Top each layer with 'Aunt Mary's Cream Cheese Frosting' and sprinkle on pecans.