Recipe by In Ulm um Ulm...
This recipe came from my Aunt Mary who lives in Nigeria. (can be baked in 9 x 13 to lessen baking time)
- 2 cups sugar (I use 1 1/2 cup)
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 3 cups cake flour, sifted
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 (8 3/4 ounce) can crushed pineapple or 1 1⁄4 cups fresh pineapple, chopped small
- 1⁄2 cup pineapple juice (previously reserved)
- 3 eggs, beaten
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 cups raw carrots (grated and loosely packed)
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease and lightly flour baking pan. Preheat oven to 325°F
- Mix together dry Ingredients: sugar, soda, cake flour, salt, cinnamon, baking powder
- Drain can of pineapple juice from pineapple, saving the juice.
- Add the following to the dry mixture and beat for 3 minutes: Pineapple juice, eggs, oil, vanilla
- Stir in pineapple, carrots and (optional) pecans
- Bake in Bundt pan at 325 degrees for about 1 1/2 hours. (Can also be baked in 9 x 13 for about 45 minutes.).
- Cool for 10 minutes in pan before unmolding
- Frost with Currant-Nut Icing.
- Currant-Nut Icing
- 4 1/2 cups icing sugar (1 box) 2 Tablespoon vanilla
- 1 pkg (8 oz.) soft cream cheese 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/4 cup butter 1/4 cup currants
- 2 Tablespoon milk
- Plump currants by soaking in 1/3 cup of hot water for 5 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Beat sugar, cream cheese (I use laughing cow cheese), butter, milk and vanilla
- until smooth. Fold in walnuts and currants.
- Spread over cooled cake.