Prep 15 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is my favourite recipe for making tea biscuits. My mother-in-law has been using it for years. Aunt Mary's Biscuits
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1⁄3 cup shortening
- 1 cup milk
- Combine first 4 ingredients.
- Cut in shortening with pastry cutter or two knives until it resembles coarse meal.
- Pour milk into center and stir with fork until mixture leaves the sides of the bowl.
- Knead carefully on floured board.
- Roll or pat to 3/4 inch thickness and cut with 2-inch cookie cutter.
- Place on ungreased sheet and bake at 450: F for 10 to 15 minutes until nicely browned.
- If you wish, you can brush tops with milk to make them brown nicely.
Nice flavor--not too salty as many biscuit recipes are. Easy to make. They didn't rise very much, so don't roll them too thin.