Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
Deep south green beans adapted from our Aunt Martha in Huntsville!
- 1 lb fresh green beans, trimmed
- 1⁄2 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 14 ounces low sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons white sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a stock pot on medium high heat, melt butter
- Add chopped onion and saute 3 minutes.
- Add green beans and continue to saute another 3 minutes.
- Stir in salt, pepper, and sugar.
- Pour in chicken stock, and cover pot.
- Cook on medium low 35-40 minutes.
These were good and easy to make. I did make some changes. When I added the chicken broth, it was salty enjough for us, so I didn't add any of the salt. I also only added half the black pepper and didn't add the sugar. This was a nice side dish.
These had a great flavor! The only things I changed were: I was sceptical about the sugar so I didn't add that. I also added sauteed mushrooms.
Yum! We really enjoyed this recipe. I love the chicken broth flavor this gave. I added a few red potatoes that I needed to use up. Turned out great!! :) Thanks so much for sharing the recipe!!