Prep 1 hr
Cook 50 mins
This was really good! I baked this in a 13x9 casserole dish and it turned out great! I found this one in an old fundraiser cookbook.
- 1 onion, chopped finely
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 lb ground beef
- 4 ounces sliced mushrooms
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 10 ounces frozen chopped spinach, cooked and drained
- 2 eggs
- 2 tablespoons salad oil
- 1 (8 ounce) package wide egg noodles, cooked and drained
- 1 cup cottage cheese
- 1⁄3 cup parmesan cheese
- 12 ounces sliced American cheese
- Brown onion and garlic slightly in 1 tablespoon oil.
- Add beef and stir until brown.
- Stir in mushrooms, tomato sauce and paste, 1 teaspoon salt and oregano and simmer.
- Beat 1 egg slightly and pour over cooked noodles.
- Beat second egg and add spinach, 1 tablespoon oil, cottage cheese, Parmesan cheese and 1 teaspoon salt and mix.
- Pour half tomato mixture into large shallow oblong baking pan.
- Layer half noodles on top.
- Spread with spinach mixture.
- Repeat noodle layer and top with remaining tomato sauce.
- Cover with foil and bake for 45 minutes at 350.
- Uncover and arrange squares of processed cheese on top.
- Bake 5 minutes more or until cheese is melted.
I made this for Fall PAC 2009. We really liked the flavor, reminded us of lasagna with a lot less work. The only change I made was using a bit less spinach because I had a partial box in the freezer that needed to be used. Will be a 'keeper' recipe for us. I gave some to DD to try and she put it in the freezer. I'm interested to see how that works out. Thanks for sharing this recipe!