Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
I think they actually came from a Wilton book or something like that, but it doesn't detract from their amazingness. These are my favourite gingerbread cookies :)
- 5 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons powdered ginger
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup vegetable shortening
- 1 1⁄4 cups molasses
- 2 beaten eggs
- Mix flour, salt and spices.
- Melt shortening in saucepan. Cool.
- Add sugar, molasses and eggs to saucepan, mix well.
- Add 4 cups of dry ingredients, mix well.
- Turn mixture onto lightly floured surface. Knead in remaining dry ingredients.
- Roll 1/4" thick for cut-out cookies. Bake 15-20 minutes.
I don't know if I should write my review or not. There isnt a amount of sugar listed in the ingredients but its listed in the directions. I look the liberty to add a cup of white sugar and could have added a bit more. Also there isnt a temp listed so I baked them at 350 for 8 minutes, any more in my oven would have burnt them. With the addition of the sugar I followed the rest of the recipe as written. I felt the spices were right on, I like a strong cookie. The dough was really easy to work with. The dayhome kids loved them. I made dinosaurs, rabbits and a puzzle (yes a puzzle). I have a full cookie jar + they all had a feed at snack time. With my adjustments I would make them again.