Recipe by Ian McLaughlin
Traditional fruity loaf, delicious served hot or cold. Just like your Auntie used to make.
- 3 ounces margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup unskimmed milk
- 1 1⁄2 cups sultanas
- 2 cups self rising flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon mixed spice
- 1 egg
Directions See How It's Made
- Melt the margarine in a saucepan, add the sugar, milk, and sultanas, and bring to the boil slowly.
- Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl, and add the contents from the saucepan and mix well together.
- Let the mixture cool for approximately 10 minutes.
- Pre heat oven to 350f or 180c.
- Line a loaf tin with aluminium foil.
- Add the ingredients to the tin and bake in the centre of the oven for 1 hour, until the top of the loaf is brown and crispy.
- Remove the fruit loaf from the oven and let it stand on a baking try for aproximately 10 minutes.
- This loaf is delicious when eaten warm, with a big mug of tea.