Recipe by Smilynn
I tested this on my family last Thanksgiving. They have requested it this year too. I got the base recipe from another website but added and deleted some of the ingredients to my taste. I like it because it's a bit different from the traditional casserole.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can French-fried onions (a.k.a fried onion crisps)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped water chestnuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mushrooms
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C).
- Melt 2 T butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth and cook for one minute.
- Stir in salt, sugar, onion, water chestnuts, pecans, mushrooms and sour cream.
- Add green beans and stir until coated.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Spread cheese over top.
- In a small bowl toss taste toppers and butter and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.