I tested this on my family last Thanksgiving. They have requested it this year too. I got the base recipe from another website but added and deleted some of the ingredients to my taste. I like it because it's a bit different from the traditional casserole.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can French-fried onions (a.k.a fried onion crisps)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped water chestnuts
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (4 ounce) can chopped mushrooms
- 1Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C).
- 2Melt 2 T butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- 3Stir in flour until smooth and cook for one minute.
- 4Stir in salt, sugar, onion, water chestnuts, pecans, mushrooms and sour cream.
- 5Add green beans and stir until coated.
- 6Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- 7Spread cheese over top.
- 8In a small bowl toss taste toppers and butter and sprinkle over the cheese.
- 9Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
Browse Our Top Cheese Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunt Lynn's Green Bean Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (204 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 239.0
- Calories from Fat 159
- Total Fat 17.7 g
- Saturated Fat 9.8 g
- Cholesterol 44.8 mg
- Sodium 726.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 13.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 8.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: