Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I tested this on my family last Thanksgiving. They have requested it this year too. I got the base recipe from another website but added and deleted some of the ingredients to my taste. I like it because it's a bit different from the traditional casserole.
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1⁄4 cup onion, diced
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 (14 1/2 ounce) cans French style green beans, drained
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can French-fried onions (a.k.a fried onion crisps)
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped water chestnuts
- 1⁄4 cup chopped pecans
- 1 (4 ounce) canchopped mushrooms
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees (175 degrees C).
- Melt 2 T butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Stir in flour until smooth and cook for one minute.
- Stir in salt, sugar, onion, water chestnuts, pecans, mushrooms and sour cream.
- Add green beans and stir until coated.
- Transfer mixture to a 2 1/2 quart casserole dish.
- Spread cheese over top.
- In a small bowl toss taste toppers and butter and sprinkle over the cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until top is golden brown and cheese is bubbly.
excellent..we were tiring of the tradional recipe....this was very good
Lynn13, My gosh this is so good,I made it just as written except I left out the water chestnuts, (we just aren't wild about them) But this was really Good.I usually make the traditional Green bean casserole,which we all love,but I will definantly make this one again. Thanks so much, Darlene Summers
Found out too late I didn't have enough fried onions - still the BEST greenie beanie casserole I've EVER had!