Prep 15 mins
Cook 35 mins
This is a great family favorite and brings smiles from the little ones to the older ones; a wonderful meatless meal served with a fresh green salad. It serves many so it is a staple at all our family functions. Try it ... you'll love it!
- 1 lb elbow macaroni (cooked & drained)
- 1 lb sharp cheddar cheese (grated)
- 1 1⁄4 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1 small onion (diced)
- 1⁄2-1 cup butter or 1⁄2-1 cup margarine
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 cup plain breadcrumbs
- Cook and drain elbow pasta and place into a buttered roasting pan.
- In a saucepan on the stovetop, melt 1/2 stick butter or margarine.
- Saute onions for 3 minutes.
- Mix flour into the cold milk, stirring to remove any lumps; Pour milk/flour mixture into saucepan with salt, pepper, nutmeg, and dry mustard.
- Cook until just hot; stir in cheddar cheese and pour over elbow macaroni in roasting pan.
- Melt the other 1/2 stick butter or margarine and mix into breadcrumbs to moisten.
- Sprinkle on breadcrumbs and paprika.
- Bake in 350 degree oven for 35 minutes or until golden brown on top.