This is a very simple cornbread recipe from my dad's sister who lives in Danese, WV. I did discover, however, that "bread flour" is not the same as "self-rising flour" ... duh! As my aunt does, I use a cast-iron skillet and only use that for this specific baking need. Of course, if you do not have a cast-iron skillet then a 8x8 baking pan will do. The cornbread will rise about 1" but if you like a thicker cornbread then you'll want to add baking powder to get that additional rise. Also, while it's heating up, I'll put my skillet in the oven so the crust/bottom of the cornbread will have a nice (slight) crunch to it. If you prefer a softer cornbread just pour the mixture into the cold seasoned skillet or baking pan that has been coated in oil or baking spray. This recipe makes a great staple and easy meal with pinto beans, or crumbled up in a bowl with buttermilk poured over top of it -- that's how my dad likes it. ENJOY!!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups self-rising cornmeal
- 1/4 cup self-rising flour
- 1 -1 1/4 cup buttermilk (adjust for consistency)
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/4 teaspoons baking powder (optional)
- 1 teaspoon salt (optional and to taste)
- 1/4 cup sugar (optional and to taste)
- oil (for skillet or pan) or cooking spray (for skillet or pan)
- 1Heat oven to 450 degrees. Spray baking pan or coat skillet with drop or two of vegetable oil.
- 2Mix all ingredients (including optionals, if being used) together until well blended. (The 2 Tbsp of oil goes in the mixture, not just for the pan -- found this out AFTER my first batch!) May need to adjust amount of buttermilk to get the correct consistency. An additional 1/4 cup to get a more pliable mixture to pour into the skillet should work.
- 3Bake until golden brown on top and/or tests done.
Browse Our Top Flat-Shaped Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Aunt Lucy's Cornbread
Serving Size: 1 (68 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 313.4
- Calories from Fat 80
- Total Fat 8.9 g
- Saturated Fat 1.4 g
- Cholesterol 2.4 mg
- Sodium 1315.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 53.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 15.4 g
- Protein 6.5 g